Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:34:54 — 173.8MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Email | RSS
Many view the practice of Martial Arts as a way of developing physical skills for self defense and ultimately the confidence to protect yourself and loved ones if required. However an often overlooked aspect of Martial Arts is the psychological tools that can be gained to further character development including resilience and empathy.
Seb Bates drew heavily upon his Martial Arts experience to not only overcome a life changing injury but to also build a successful career that gives him the freedom to lead a life full of adventure, while also teaching children, parents and business owners the principles to strengthen their character and lead confident, resilient lives.
On The Dent Podcast, we interview key people of influence in all walks of life. We delve deep to unearth how these successful people got to where they are, their trials and tribulations, as well as their successes, and what their experiences can teach us all.
Seb Bates is the founder of The Warrior Academy, a global Martial Arts organisation voted top 5 in the world. He is also the Co Founder of multiple online, global businesses including Shield, FTEN X Academy and Not A Victim, an anti-bullying organisation.
Seb is also a professional fighter and wingsuit/base jumper who had to overcome a serious accident which almost took his life.
Here’s a taste of Seb Bates and Glen Carlson’s conversation –
- How Seb survived a 50 foot fall after his parachute became twisted during base jumping and why he returned to the extreme sport after a 2 year recovery from the accident
- Seb talks about facing the potential of living a life restricted by his injuries and chronic pain, and why he refused to let this become his reality
- How Seb made a return to competitive Martial Arts by utilising the low impact groundwork and grappling techniques of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Sebs foundation business ‘The Warrior Academy’, a martial arts organization based in Dubai, that focuses on character development
- The origin story of Sebs entrepreneurial journey and how studying architecture helped him to realise that it was freedom that he really desired in life
- Traveling South-East Asia and discovering a passion for Martial Arts through the cultural experience of Thai boxing camps
- Sebs professional approach to character development through developing a simplified methodology based around the 3 C’s – Confidence, Conduct and Concentration
- How becoming a Key Person of Influence helped Seb to expand his vision for the academy and further develop himself as a mentor and entrepreneur
- The key assets that have given Seb the ability to have freedom and adventure in his professional life
- Thanking childhood bullies and utilising the trauma from being bullied to strengthen character and resilience
- Teaching parents to forgive and be empathetic towards their children’s bullies so that they can become the mentor that their child needs to learn how to rise above the experience
- Applying courage in the business world especially when it comes to the imposter monster
- Mindful and meditative practices from Martial Arts that can be applied to the business world and how Seb keeps himself balanced
- Sebs advice to parents around character development and raising confident children
Links to connect with Seb Bates –